Sunday, March 23, 2008

Women's Market and Goldfish Market


I believe the Women's Market is named that like Broadway in the 1920s was named "Ladies' Mile"--women (or ladies) are no longer their main target audience, but the name stuck. Basically, it was a market. There were designer knock-offs, souvenirs, jewelry, and dog outfits. It was bustling and loud. While it was fun to walk through, I'm never sure what's expected of me in these situations. Although I am a New Yorker and therefore not impervious to the clarion call of designer status bags for a portion of the price, it's not like such things don't exist in New York. So I didn't get anything.


The Goldfish Market was another story (although I didn't purchase anything). It clearly has a purpose and was a joy to see. It's not really a market, just a row of shops for a couple of blocks with tanks and bags of fish, turtles, and aquarium paraphenalia for sale. Also, cats, dogs, and rodents for brief period. I loved, loved it, although I did get stares when I pulled out the camera.

No comments: