Thursday, March 27, 2008

First Full Day in Saigon

I decided to eschew the motorbikes and do a walking tour of Saigon instead. Despite (or because of) the traffic, I really enjoy walking in Saigon. I am probably missing out on something by not biking, but I really don't care. Okay, so the highlights:
  • Ben Thanh Market: food! old-timey men's pajamas! junk!
  • Ginger ice cream and coffee at Fanny's: the ginger ice cream tasted like, well, ginger and cream. Nothing weird, no non-ginger aftertaste.
  • Art Museum: beautiful yellow and white building that was formerly something oppressive and probably french
  • History of Ho Chi Minh City Museum: another beatiful old building, this one with tanks in the yard; more taxidermied animals (is this a staple of city museums of which I was somehow unaware? I'm pretty sure that the NYC building doesn't have taxidermied squirrels or rats--which is not to say that they shouldn't).
  • Post Office: um, nice telephone booths? General waste of time, but whatever.

Really, the sights are only an excuse to traverse the city and give me something to do between meals. Also, Uncle Ho is everywhere.

No comments: