Sunday, March 23, 2008

Getting Lost

As some of you may know, I have lost any faculty for giving directions anymore. How do you get to the brunch spot Suja and I always go to? That Cuban place Ellen loved despite its terrible service? My own apartment? You just...get there. Maybe it's the influence of Google Maps or HopStop (or early-onset Alzeimer's), but the idea of not knowing how to get somewhere has become ridiculous to me lately.

And then I got to Hong Kong--a city in which few streets bother to go North to South or East to West, but rather meander like streams whose intentions are not for humans to guess. Pretty much anytime I exit the hotel, I get lost. Last night, I went out for dinner and literally every time I had to make a decision on the direction, I went in directly the wrong direction. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing--I wandered on Argyle and Nathan roads, stumbled on the goldfish market, figured out the nearest MTR stops. It was nice, actually, to not know where I was going.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Be sure to get lost on the islands of Peng or Chueng Chau, you can climb to the top of the mountains, and look around to see which way the ferry port is. Much love -Ed