Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Foot Traffic

Although I've lived in NYC for over 10 years now and consider myself a pretty well-seasoned urbanite, I can't say that anything prepared me for the amount of freakin' PEOPLE in Hong Kong. In NYC, you have a little buffer zone between yourself and other people and those who invade that zone pay the consequences. Such a zone does not--cannot--exist in Hong Kong. To make matters more claustrophobic, they have barriers on the sidewalks of most major streets so one can't jaywalk or run into traffic and kill onself. If you want to cross the street you may have to walk several blocks to find an opening or a footbridge or a subway.
And the footbridges kind of fascinated me. Partly due to my fear of heights, but also because these footbridges are often connected to malls. Now I'm a born-and-bred mall girl, as much as I hate to admit it. My veins run with Orange Julius, my heart is a Mrs. Field's cookie. But these malls are not like that. It's designer store after designer store. Posh restaurant after posh restaurant. Incredibly intimating when you're lost and confused and sort of sweaty.

No comments: