Monday, March 31, 2008

Flower Garden

My first day in Dalat, I just wandered around the city, then decided to walk the perimiter of Xuan Huong Lake. I ran into the Dalat Flower Gardens and decided to go in. But as soon as I did, I noticed some ominous clouds off in the distance. So I stuck near all the covered areas. And then I saw a few cracks of lightning and heard thunder. Still, I wasn't going to panic (although I was surrounded by trees and metal poles and other things lightning tends to like) until I felt rain and then I'd just take a taxi back to the hotel or something. I hung around, waiting, for 2 hours. And I never felt one drop of rain.

What I did feel, however, was a passionate need to have a garden and/or grow orchids (as you can probably tell from my pictures).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, amidst of your O'Keeffe-like images of the flowers, there's something that looks like the Eiffel Tower. What's that?

I'm totally enjoying following your trip thus far! Thanks for sharing it! ~MSR

Rebecca Andruszka said...

So I obviously didn't check these often, as I am responding to an April post at the end of May, but better late than never, eh?
The Eiffel Tower is actually a radio transmitter. The lights were on ALL NIGHT, RIGHT OUTSIDE MY HOTEL WINDOW. Da Lat is known as "Petit Paris" for this fake Eiffel Tower, as well its good food and European influences.